Extreme Measures Planmine™ Help Desk
About Us
Sign In / Up

Extreme Measures

This help desk is a free resource intended for discussion purposes only. Neither BOMA, its chapters, affiliates, or Extreme Measures Inc.® are responsible for the information, comments or opinions expressed herein. For complete information, refer to the official publications of the standards themselves.

FAQ & Read-Me Articles
BOMA for Office Overview
BOMA for Industrial Overview
BOMA for Retail Overview
BOMA for Multi-Unit Residential Overview
BOMA Mixed-Use Overview
BOMA Gross Areas Overview
IPMS for Office Overview
Alternative Methodologies
Glossary of Industry Terms
What are as-built drawings / models?
What is CAD and BIM?
How do I resolve an area dispute?
Where can I get measurement standards publications?

Calculating area of dwelling units

alan davies
Acton Ostry Architects
May 9, 2019

Could you please confirm where the area calculated in an exterior wall. In the past, we have understood that the area is taken to the centre line of the glazed unit and this same depth into adjacent walls.

Many thanks,


David Fingret
Extreme Measures Inc.
May 13, 2019

Hi Alan,

It depends which Method you are using. The Living Unit Areas in Method A (gross method) measures to the exterior face of exterior walls whereas Method B (net method) measures to the inside finished surface. In Method B, the exterior walls are also measured but considered part of the common area.


Your Comments ...

Please allow up to 24 hours for your question to appear after it is reviewed.