Extreme Measures Planmine™ Help Desk
About Us
Sign In / Up

Extreme Measures

This help desk is a free resource intended for discussion purposes only. Neither BOMA, its chapters, affiliates, or Extreme Measures Inc.® are responsible for the information, comments or opinions expressed herein. For complete information, refer to the official publications of the standards themselves.

FAQ & Read-Me Articles
BOMA for Office Overview
BOMA for Industrial Overview
BOMA for Retail Overview
BOMA for Multi-Unit Residential Overview
BOMA Mixed-Use Overview
BOMA Gross Areas Overview
IPMS for Office Overview
Alternative Methodologies
Glossary of Industry Terms
What are as-built drawings / models?
What is CAD and BIM?
How do I resolve an area dispute?
Where can I get measurement standards publications?


Ted Witaszek
Alstom Power Inc.
November 18, 2009

My company would like to lease an entire building as a single user. GSF = 142,000 sf. Vertical penetrations = 6,000 sf. Based on '89 standards how would net rentable sf be calculated for a fully tenanted single-user building. How would RSF be calculated for same facility? Are vertical pentrations included or not in RSF for this facility?

David Fingret
Extreme Measures Inc.
November 18, 2009

Hi Ted,

According to BOMA 1980 (ANSI Z.65.1-1980), it is permissible to use Gross Building Area (Construction Area) as the rentable area in a single tenant building, in which case there will be no deductions for vertical penetrations.

Your Comments ...

Please allow up to 24 hours for your question to appear after it is reviewed.